Moving is a big deal, and one of the first things you need to do is report a change of address. It’s essential to update your mailing address as soon as possible. You don’t want to miss any important mail or run into delays when filing your taxes. Fortunately, changing your address is easy — you can do it online, by phone, or even by visiting your local post office. 

Little Red Wagon Moving is here to help make your move as smooth as possible. We know that moving can be stressful. That’s why we offer a variety of moving services to make things easier for you. From packing and unpacking to transportation, we’ve got you covered. We’re even happy to help you with those annoying little details like changing your address. So if you’re planning a move, give us a call or contact us online — we’ll be happy to help!

When Should I Change Addresses When Moving?

To process your change of address in Colorado smoothly, it’s faster and easier to start notifying important individuals and organizations weeks ahead of your move. You will want to notify people of your move no less than two weeks before you move.

This includes notifying the U.S. Postal Service and other government agencies of your new address. Continue reading below for our change of address checklist of federal and state agencies you should notify when you move.

Notifying the United States Postal Service about your change of address could not be easier. Simply go to to update your address online. This option is commonly preferred for both convenience and speed. 

For added convenience, you will receive an email confirmation as soon as you change your address. If you would like to change your address in­ person, visit your local post office and ask for a Change of Address form. For other services, such as a temporary change of address or a request to hold your mail, visit your local post office.

If you are waiting for a tax refund or other IRS documents, contact the IRS to update your address. Visit their website for a complete list of suggested actions to update your address. If you have not yet filed your taxes, you can update your address by simply writing your new address in the proper boxes when you file your tax return.

If you receive Social Security retirement, disability, or survivors’ benefits, or are enrolled in Medicare, you can update your address online through your Social Security account. If you are not enrolled in Medicare and do not receive Social Security benefits, you can change your address by contacting the Social Security Administration office near you.

Veterans who receive benefit payments from the Department of Veterans Affairs can change their address in their profile. If you don’t have access to your profile online, you can also contact the department that you’re trying to update directly.

Generally, non ­U.S. citizens are required to report a new address within 10 days of moving within the United States or its territories. If you or someone in your household is required to report a change of address, visit the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services website for guidance. You can update your address online through your USCIS account or by filing Form AR-11.

We recommend contacting your state to update the address on your vehicle’s registration documents and your driver’s license. Visit this website to find contact information for your state.

To update your address on your voter registration record, contact your state’s election office. If you are moving out ­of ­state, it is important that you register to vote in your new state, too! Click here to find contact information for the election offices in your state.

Additional Agencies You Should Notify of Your Move

Moving is a lot of work. There’s arranging for movers or renting a truck, and changing your address with everyone from the post office to your employers. It’s enough to make your head spin. To help you keep track of everything, here’s a list of additional agencies you should notify of your change of address when you move:

  • Your bank(s)
  • Investment accounts
  • Other financial institutions
  • Your insurance companies
  • Doctors
  • Utilities
  • Subscriptions
  • Service providers
  • Credit card companies
  • Your employer
  • Any professional licensure boards
  • Friends and family

The Importance of Changing Your Address

After moving, there is a long list of things to do and to remember. Most likely you will be starting a new job, your kids will be going to different schools, and the list is endless. What is important to us at Little Red Wagon Moving is to make this process easier for you. That is why our change of address checklist is here to keep you on track. Here is why changing your address when you move is so important:

  • Quicker for you to settle into your new home or business
  • Easier than having to collect mail from the post office 
  • Stops delays in mail or taxes
  • Helps verify your identity for financial or voting purposes
  • Ensures that you get up to date information on your accounts and bills

Little Red Wagon Moving is Here to Help You Move Safely

When you move to a new house, one of the first things you need to do is change your address. This may seem like a small task, but it’s actually quite important. By updating your address, you ensure that your mail will be sent to the right place and that you’ll receive important documents. Changing your address is a necessary step when you move to a new home. So don’t forget to do it!

Little Red Wagon wants to make sure you have everything you need to make your move quick and easy. That is why we have provided you with a checklist of items that require address changes! In addition to this resource, we also have a moving checklist, an educational blog, and a residential moving FAQ. If you are ready to move or have questions about your move, we are happy to give you a free estimate. Reach out to our team of Happy Movers and let’s get started on your stress-free move!

A Picture Of Someone Taping A Box