Moving is a complicated and stressful process. There are so many details that need attention, and it can be overwhelming to figure out where to start. For your convenience, Little Red Wagon Moving created a comprehensive moving checklist that will take you every step of the way. From finding the right moving company for your needs to getting the last box in your new home, this 8week checklist is your guide to a smooth move.
6 to 8 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Create a budget for moving expenses and keep it in mind throughout the entire moving process.
- Find moving companies in your area and begin to gather price quotes.
- Create a Moving Folder, either on your computer or grab a physical folder, to keep all moving related documents in one place.
- Eliminate clutter by searching through your belongings and either trashing, selling, or donating your unwanted items.
- Make arrangements for documents like your school and medical records to be transferred to your new home.
4 to 6 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Choose a moving company and schedule your move. Remember, this is a time sensitive issue. The earlier you call, the more dates will be available to you. Call (719) 499-6285 to schedule a move with Little Red Wagon Moving.
- Gather packing supplies such as boxes and wrapping paper. If you’re having trouble securing affordable packing supplies, check your local liquor store or Craigslist for free boxes. For more suggestions, see our blog post for 10 places to get free moving boxes.
- Begin packing. Start with seasonal items and items that you don’t use often.
- As you pack, remember to label all boxes appropriately, write “FRAGILE” if applicable.
- Update any accounts and subscriptions with your future address. This includes your bank, utility company, insurance provider, andeven magazine and newspaper companies.
2 to 4 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Continue Packing. Now, pack as much as possible including kitchen items, decorations, pictures, extra bedding, etc. For clothing, pack everything except for a couple weeks’ worth of outfits.
- Arrange for storage, if necessary, near your new location.
- Update the post office with your new address. This can be done in person or via their online form.
- (For a list of government agencies who need your new address, see our Report Address Change page under the Resources tab in the menu.)
- Separate any valuable items that you would prefer to transport yourself.
- If you are moving long distance, make hotel and lodging arrangements for you and your family.
- Obtain a copy of the floor plan of your new home and plan where you want the furniture. This is a great help for the movers, and it will save you both time and money.
1 to 2 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Pack most of your belongings, leaving only your everyday essentials unpacked.
- Make plans for someone to be at your house during moving day. Take the day off work if possible and necessary.
Dispose of any flammable items that cannot be safely transported. This includes gasoline, aerosol cans, some types of paint, and
other related items.
- If you have any pets, make transportation arrangements for them.
- Plan to eat as much of your perishable and frozen foods as possible in the next two weeks.
1 Week Before Moving Day
- Have every member of your family pack as if you were going on a 2day vacation. Pack things like your toothbrush, toiletries, clothing, and other essentials. This gives you time in your new home to relax and the freedom to unpack at your leisure.
- Make an inventory list of all objects you will be moving personally.
- Call (719) 499-6285 to confirm your move with Little Red Wagon Moving. Reconfirm your phone number, address, date, and
time of the scheduled move.
- Clean out your safe deposit box if you are switching bank locations.
- Clean out your refrigerator and pantry. Pack all nonperishable items, and dispose of any items that would not survive the move.
- Do not discard your Moving Folder. You will need it to verify moving expenses when you file your federal tax return.
- Before leaving, go around the house and turn everything off, close all windows and doors, and leave your old keys behind.
- Remain attentive and available throughout the moving process to answer any questions the movers may have.
- Help guide the movers to your new home.
- Sign all required paperwork.
We hope this moving checklist helps reduce stress leading up to your move. Take a deep breath and prepare for life in your new home!