Little Red Wagon Moving is here to provide you with the best moving resources available. Whether you want advice on how to pack your fragile belongings, or you need help creating a moving checklist, our team of moving experts is here to make sure you have everything you need to have a successful move! As the top moving company in Colorado Springs, Little Red Wagon understands there are times where you will need to complete a small move, perhaps rearrange your office space, and you’ll need to do it quickly and without the help of professional movers. To make sure you don’t injure yourself and have all of the tools you need, our team has created a guide to help you learn how to move heavy objects by yourself.
8 Tips To Move Heavy Furniture By Yourself
There are multiple reasons why you may need to move heavy furniture by yourself. Perhaps you need to reorganize your home for a holiday party, or you need to move around office furniture to make room for your growing company. Whatever the reason is, following these steps will help make sure you are moving heavy items as safely as possible.
- Create A Pathway
- Before you begin to move around the large items in your space, make sure to create a pathway and remove any obstacles that could cause you to trip and fall. This includes items such as moving boxes, wires and dog toys.
- Dress Properly
- If you’re going to be moving heavy objects by yourself, it’s crucial to wear the appropriate attire. Make sure to wear breathable clothing that doesn’t constrict your movements. Also, make sure to wear closed-toed shoes in case you drop something on your foot.
- Protect Your Furniture
- The next step to successfully moving heavy furniture by yourself is to protect your furniture. When moving heavy objects, the last thing you want to worry about is ruining something because it snagged on the wall or ran into the edge of the door. Make sure to either plastic wrap your items or look into plastic furniture wraps for your couches and chairs. Make sure you also use furniture pads or some sort of barrier to protect your floors from being scratched.
- Get The Right Materials
- In order to safely and successfully move heavy objects, you need to acquire the right materials. This includes dollies, ramps, moving straps, furniture sliders and work gloves. Having these items on hand will make your move that much easier!
- While this may seem silly at first, it’s important to stretch beforehand and make sure your body is warmed up. Moving heavy objects can be extremely strenuous on your body, and it’s important to make sure you do everything you can to prevent injuries.
- Lift With Your Legs
- If you’ve ever moved before, you’ve probably been told to “lift with your legs.” Bending at the knees instead of using your back when moving heavy items is one of the best ways to make sure you lift items properly and don’t cause unnecessary damage to your body.
- Turn With Your Feet
- Even though your instinct will be to turn with your body, it’s important to make sure your feet are always guiding you. By turning with your feet instead of your hips, you’ll be able to keep your balance and make sure you don’t strain your back.
- Lighten The Load
- Whenever you’re moving a heavy object, make sure you take off any removable parts of the item and make the load as light as possible. So, if you’re moving a couch, make sure to take off the cushions and carry them separately.
Move With Little Red Wagon Moving
Our moving professionals are here to help make your move as simple and enjoyable as possible. If you ever need to move without professional help, we also provide our abundant moving resources to make sure you’re equipped to have a successful move. If you’re interested in learning more moving tips and tricks, or you want to schedule your next move with Little Red Wagon Moving, please contact our moving experts today!